What people are saying about Transference:
- BookLife Prize (finalist): “Kate Jonuska’s Transference is a riveting tale of telepathy and suburban angst, with characters who reveal unexpected depths and challenge reader expectations as the story unfolds. Despite some powerful forays into darkness and despair, the book is ultimately about hope, redemption, and making human connections in a difficult world.” — Tim Pratt, BookLife judge and author of The Wrong Stars, Rags & Bones and more.
- BookLife Prize (semi-finalist): “Deftly rendered… Despite familiar elements, this novel feels fresh. Jonuska flips the trope of the solid mentor/flawed student on its head.”
- The Denver Post (staff pick): “Transference has delightfully despicable characters who earn their laughs… Jonuska (who has written for The Denver Post in the past) has laid fertile ground for comedy with the mind-reading premise. Those comic twists and turns — some predictable, others surprising — endear Janet and Verbenk to the reader and, eventually, to one another.” – Jenn Fields
- The Daily Camera (Boulder, CO): “For all the conventional wisdom about ‘likable’ characters, unlikable characters can work if they are interesting, and these two are. We never move too far beyond their most salient traits, but Jonuska has a journalist’s ear for snappy dialogue… (and) a flair for punchy, often cynical, humor.” – Clay Bonnyman Evans, reviewer and author of Bones of My Grandfather: Reclaiming a Lost Hero of WWII
Transference is also available IRL at some of my favorite independent bookstores and libraries, including:
- Boulder Books on Pearl Street, Boulder
- Trident Booksellers on Pearl Street, Boulder
- BookBar on Tennyson Street, Denver
- At the Colfax location of Tattered Cover, Denver (Soon to be at all four TC locations!)
- Bolder Public Library
- Arapahoe Libraries
So the only question now is, are you ready for Dr. Verbenk?
Professionally ruined, morally bankrupt and reflexively snarky,psychiatrist Derek Verbenk is a f*ck-up by even his own measure. Major errors in judgment have sentenced the once ambitious doctor to a career handing out prescriptions to rich housewives from his home office in Cherry Creek — until a superpowered new patient turns Verbenk’s life upside down and his soul inside out.
Romping through Denver, breaking through barriers of privacy, social isolation and even politics, Transference is an odd-couple quest toward redemption full of wicked humor and radical honesty.
Stay tuned to Kate’s Amazon Author Page for updates and details.