I’m thrilled to announce that the SECOND EDITION of The Dictionary of Fiction Critique has hit the shelves! First released in 2018, this dictionary was a labor of love, built out of my genuine passion for the ideas and vocabulary of fiction writing. What started as a workshop became a book, and now that I’ve presented on the topic at conferences and Cons, my workshops have in turn fleshed out the book into a new, improved form.
What’s new in this edition:
- Now published by 30th Street Press! The Dictionary of Fiction Critique, second edition, will be available for wider distribution to bookstores, libraries and other venues. Yes, you can still buy direct from me, the author, either on Amazon or in-person at events, but now you can also ask your school or library to stock a copy of the new edition.
- New vocabulary words! I’ve updated lampshades and spotlights, washing dishes and more. Check out dozens of definitions not included in the first, instructional section of the dictionary in the A-Z listing in the back.
- Headings! Section titles now make it easy to flip through the dictionary to find what you need.
- More detailed discussions of locating a critique group, passive language, and the nuances of action, tension and conflict.
- A cool new blurb from a writer a very much admire, Kendra Fortmeyer, Pushcart-winning author of Hole in the Middle:
“Expert, compact and suffused with warmth and humor, The Dictionary of Fiction Critique is the perfect introduction to discussing fiction like a writer.”
The Dictionary of Fiction Critique, second edition, is available for $13.99 paperback and $2.99 e-book.
Would you like me to speak at an upcoming event?
I love to talk about writing and creativity, so please contact me with any speaking, workshop or retreat opportunities. I’ve presented on topics such as:
- Critique 101 and critique roundtables
- Indie publishing, including short-story anthologies
- Politics in speculative fiction
- Fiction writing exercises
- Writing workshops for teens
- Mindfulness, meditation and/or yoga for creatives
I’m also available for video chats with critique groups! Again, contact me for details.