4.6 out of 5 stars on Amazon!
A telepath is a nightmare
when you have a mind like his…
Professionally ruined, morally bankrupt and reflexively snarky, psychiatrist Derek Verbenk is a f*ck-up by even his own measure. Ethical transgressions have sentenced the once ambitious doctor to a career handing out prescriptions to rich housewives from his home office in Cherry Creek — until a new patient with a newfound power turns Verbenk’s life upside down and his soul inside out. Romping through Denver, breaking through barriers of privacy, social isolation and even politics, Transference is an odd-couple quest toward redemption full of wicked humor and radical honesty.
What readers are saying about Transference:
What critics are saying about Transference:
- BookLife Prize (finalist): “Kate Jonuska’s Transference is a riveting tale of telepathy and suburban angst, with characters who reveal unexpected depths and challenge reader expectations as the story unfolds. Despite some powerful forays into darkness and despair, the book is ultimately about hope, redemption, and making human connections in a difficult world.” — Tim Pratt, BookLife judge and author of The Wrong Stars, Rags & Bones and more.
- BookLife Prize (semi-finalist): “Deftly rendered… Despite familiar elements, this novel feels fresh. Jonuska flips the trope of the solid mentor/flawed student on its head.”
- The Denver Post (staff pick): “Transference has delightfully despicable characters who earn their laughs… Jonuska (who has written for The Denver Post in the past) has laid fertile ground for comedy with the mind-reading premise. Those comic twists and turns — some predictable, others surprising — endear Janet and Verbenk to the reader and, eventually, to one another.” – Jenn Fields
- “Kate Jonuska has a keen, witty, unique voice that will likely only get more incisive and vivid with time. In this case, you don’t even need superpowers to see that.” – Colorado Book Reviews
- “Exciting. Verbenk and Janet are the most unlikely duo facing the most unlikely odds…but somehow, it works. It’s like a twisted superhero story, and it was absolutely delicious.” – She’s All Booked, blogger/reviewer
- “Engaging and hard to put down. It’s a super-fast read, and I’d definitely recommend it.” – L.R. Braden, author of A Drop of Magic
- The Daily Camera (Boulder, CO): “For all the conventional wisdom about ‘likable’ characters, unlikable characters can work if they are interesting, and these two are. We never move too far beyond their most salient traits, but Jonuska has a journalist’s ear for snappy dialogue… (and) a flair for punchy, often cynical, humor.” – Clay Bonnyman Evans, reviewer and author of Bones of My Grandfather: Reclaiming a Lost Hero of WWII
- Price: $14.99 paperback, $4.99 Kindle
- Available on Amazon and at Tattered Cover, Boulder Bookstore, Trident Books, the Denver Public Library, and the Boulder Public Library.
Stay tuned to Kate’s Amazon Author Page for updates and details.